Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 2015 08:52:47 -0700
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xenix (sysv) filesystem and FreeBSD

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015, Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have a hdd (scsi), about 1985. I can detect hdd and geometry, But
> maybe linux kernel removed xenix (sysv) filesytem.
> Question is , 1. Can i detect it via freebsd? 2. Can I read xenix (sysv)
> filesytem ?

As others have suggested, use dd to copy the entire disk to an
image file.

We still have several clients running SCO systems, mostly
OpenServer in production.  The only reliable solution I've found
is to run them under VMware as it emulates old hardware that's
understood by SCO (e.g. SCSI disks and ancient NICs).

Getting VMware to recognize these disk images is a bit of a
hassle as it requires manually creating the vmdk file to describe
the geometry.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms within his own lands
    -- Thomas Jefferson