Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 1995 10:05:30 +0300
From:      Amos Shapira <amoss@cs.huji.ac.il>
Subject:   Re: Network Usage Stats

"Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com> wrote:

|> I am looking for a non-intrusive, hopefully low-CPU usage network
|> usage monitor that can tell me something about how much the network(s)
|> going in to a FreeBSD router is being used.
|>
|> Is there such a beast?
|
|Well, it is not quite what you want, but your FreeBSD router has it
|built in.  It is kernel pseudo-device bpfilter:
|
|#  The `bpfilter' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.  Be
|#  aware of the legal and administrative consequences of enabling this
|#  option.  The number of devices determines the maximum number of
|#  simultaneous BPF clients programs runnable.
|pseudo-device   bpfilter        4       #Berkeley packet filter

Haven't got around to try this, but I've just incorporated patches to
NNStat to make it use the Berkeley Packet Filter (as well as LBL's(?)
libpcap).

The latest version is available at
ftp://ftp.huji.ac.il/users/amoss/NNStat-3.3beta-24JUN95.tar.gz
and hopefully from gatekeeper.dec.com soon

Hope this helps,

--Amos

--Amos Shapira                      | "Of course Australia was marked for
133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st.            |  glory, for its people had been chosen
Jerusalem 93 805                    |  by the finest judges in England."
ISRAEL          amoss@cs.huji.ac.il |                     -- Anonymous