Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:00:58 -0400
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        Brian Gruber <knightbg@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: stupid question about -rf upgrades

On Mar 19, 2007, at 4:10 , Brian Gruber wrote:

> portupgrade -rf gettext
>
> But if I'm using portupgrade, isn't this unnecessary?
> doesn't pkg_deinstall (and by extension portupgrade)
> preserve old shared libraries just to avoid this? what
> am i missing? why do i need to recompile half my
> system?

Because you might forget that you've done so, then later on install
something which links both the new gettext and another dependency
still using the old one.  If you're lucky, this will result in a link-
time error; if not, you'll get odd behavior and/or core dumps.

--
brandon s. allbery  [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell]
allbery@kf8nh.com