Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 15:29:33 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz, "wwoods@cybcon.com" <wwoods@cybcon.com>, Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unique question......

On Wednesday,  2 September 1998 at  9:02:24 +1200, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 1 Sep 98, at 15:51, Steve Friedrich wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 01 Sep 1998 11:57:00 -0700 (PDT), William Woods wrote:
>>
>>> What I want to do is this, blow away win95 and install freebsd. There is
>>> no way to make a boot floppy for it (it has no floppy drive) so, I am at
>>> a loss how to do this.....any ideas appreciated.
>
> [a few bits snipped]
>
>> acquire
>> the CDROM distribution (and preferably the book The Complete FreeBSD from
>> Walnut Creek (www.cdrom.com).
>
> As a newbie who bought the above book after he installed, I highly
> recommend buying the book BEFORE installing.  It would have saved me a
> great deal of time and frustration.

Well, I'll agree it's an excellent book :-)

But in this case it won't help you too much.

I can see a few alternatives, in the order of diminishing
ease of use (but in no particular cost order):

1.  Get a CD-ROM for the machine, and install from CD-ROM.  This
    appears to be what you're planning.  Before you make the
    investment, make sure you can boot from CD-ROM.  Note that if your
    machine supports either floppy or CD-ROM at one time, you can't
    boot from floppy and then swap in the CD-ROM: by that time the
    kernel will have decided  you don't have a CD-ROM, and will refuse
    to examine any evidence to the contrary.

2.  Get a floppy drive for the machine, and use it to boot the
    machine.  Install via the net using Ethernet.

3.  Put the hard disk in another full-blown laptop and do the
    installation in that machine, then move it to your system.

4.  Put the hard disk in a desktop and do the installation in that
    machine, then move it to your system.  You'll need an adaptor
    cable, which isn't always cheap.

5.  Get a floppy drive for the machine, and use it to boot the
    machine.  Install via the net using PLIP and a laplink cable.

6.  Get a floppy drive for the machine, and use it to boot the
    machine.  Install via the net using a PPP connection.

7.  Get a floppy drive for the machine, and use it to boot the
    machine and install the software.

A number of laptops have important setup and diagnostic utilities on
the disk (as I discovered after I bought a brand new laptop and blew
away the disk, just as you're planning to do :-).  You might consider
shrinking the W95% partition to the bare minimum to keep these
programs.

Greg