Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 16:10:04 -0500
From:      "Scott D. Gregory" <sgregory@crosslink.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Network Card will not work under 3.0

I recently installed 2.2.7 about a week before 3.0 was released.  This
installation was accomplished over the net and everything went well.  When
I tried to install 3.0 it would not allow me to use the same NIC for a
network install (it never showed it in the network devices, only lpt1, sio0
(ppp and slip) and sio1 (ppp and slip).  The card is a MicroDyne PCI
(510968 Rev A) with the PCNet chipset.  This card has worked fine under
2.2.5 and 2.2.7.  3.0 sees the card on boot up (lnc1 on the PCI bus) but
will not use it.

I copied 3.0 to another slice and installed it from there, however the card
still will not work.  I have tried 2 other cards (both EISA SMC).  These
are recognised as ed0 however it will not use those either, I get ed0
device timeouts.

Does anyone know why I am unable to use the PCI card and what I need to do
to get it to work?  I would really like to get this system to play with
others.

If you need any more info that would be helpfull please let me know.

Thanks,

Scott