Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 15:07:21 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Vijay Rao <vrao@micinc.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Free BSD question

Hi,

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Vijay Rao wrote:

> Will the Free BSD 3.1 CD provide me with following developers tools :
>
> 1. GNU Step window system

No - not unless you mean AfterStep ....

> 2. Window maker software

Yes

> 3. Netscape  browser and email

No - we aren't allowed to put that on the CD as I recall, but it's easily
downloadable (the port is there, just not the application).

> 4. C++ compiler

Yes.

> 5. Java development Kit.

Not sure if it's on the CDs, but the JDK kit is available from
http://www.freebsd.org/java/.

> 6. Perl and CGI

Perl yes, CGI are scripts you write (which could be in Perl or many other
languages).

> 7. Any Setup guide / online book that would help to setup a system.

If you buy the CDs from Walnut Creek you can get Greg Lehey's book for a
small additional charge.  The CDs will come with the FreeBSD handbook
included.

> 8. Third party software tools and apps. (if any - I am asking for too
> many freebies here! ).

There are over 2100 ports available for FreeBSD - not all of them will
have their source on the CDs due to various restrictions (size, export
laws etc).  Go to the ports page to see what we have:

	http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

The great thing is you can install all of these, once you have installed
the ports tree from the CDs, by simply typing "make install" in the
correct directory.  :-)

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu *
                        brett@daemonnews.org              *