Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:36:56 -0800
From:      Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
To:        Shaun Mickey <smickey@mynetsetup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xorg corruption

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 13:36 -0500, Shaun Mickey wrote:
> First off i have FreeBSD 5.3 stable on a dell latitude c600 (p3 750 512mb ram)
> i have xorg installed and have had both Gnome and KDE installed (not at the
> same time though).
>
> Every time i go to start kde or gnome after a shutdown, (using halt, shutdown,
> or reboot) the screen that's supposed to be black and white checkered with
> the X cursor is a corrupted version of a screenshot, or horizontal pink and
> gray bars. I believe the processor is spiked as well because i can move the
> mouse but there is a 1-2 second delay before it moves and it jumps, it
> doesn't refresh smoothly.
>
> About 5 minutes after i started xorg i am logged into gnome and can slowly
> logout.  After about another 3-5 minutes i'm logged out.  Now i can go startx
> again and it starts perfectly and i'm logged in in < 2 minutes.
>
> I've installed freebsd several times, always with the same options (first two
> times i installed gnome, last time i installed kde)  It never fails to happen
> after a reboot.
>
> Here are the vitals, let me know if anything else is needed.

Does the situation change if you disable the DRI by commenting out 'Load
"dri"' in the config?  If I was guessing, I'd say that the card is
hanging, and your /va/rlog/Xorg.0.log is repeatedly saying that it's
resetting the card.  Either way, the log file is key here.

--
Eric Anholt                                eta@lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt@FreeBSD.org