Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 12:53:17 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mount floopy disk

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 12:29:45PM +0000, Tiago Andre wrote:
> I like to know how do i mount my floopy disk i try:
> mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
> and
> mount /dev/fd0c /mnt
> but the anwser is incorrect super block

These are DOS format floppies?  The best advice is "don't bother
mounting the disks".  Just install the emulators/mtools port, which
lets you use DOS-like commands to access the floppy:

    mdir a:
    mcopy filename.txt a:

etc.  This has a number of advantages over actually mounting the
floppy:

    - you don't need root privilege to use mtools

    - you can eject and swap floppy disks at will, without
      getting grief from the OS

    - similarly you won't run into problems trying to write data
      to a write protected floppy disk.

Note that those last two effects are not just annoying but can in some
circumstances lead to system crashes or having to reboot the machine
to clear the errors.

Now, if I haven't scared you off enough, the literal answer to your
question is:

    # mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

That has to be done as root: you'll need to install sudo or similar to
make it possible for ordinary users to do that securely.  Always
remember to unmount the disk before ejecting it.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow