Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:00:54 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        "zd" <zd@email.jlu.edu.cn>, "subscribe freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to mount my floppy?

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:56, zd wrote:
> hi:
>
> when i tried to use the command "mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy" to mo=
unt
> the floppy,
> the system showed "block devices reqired".i went to /dev,and found that
> there is no
> device /fd0,but a directory /dev/fd with three files named 0,1,and 2 in

/dev/fd contains connects to file descriptors -- no direct connection wit=
h=20
floppy.

If you are running FBSD 5.x then I don't know how you fix the problem;
but for 4.x you need to execute /dev/MAKEDEV to create devices that are=20
somehow missing. For example:
# cd /dev
#./ MAKEDEV fd0

If it happens to be an ATAPI floppy then it will not be fd0 but afd0.

> it.also,in the
> file /etc/fstab,i couldn`t see the device /dev/fd0 .is possible
> that,freebsd does not
> found my floppy?

# dmesg
should tell you whether the floppy drive is found -- or at least the inte=
rface=20
for it.

Malcolm