Date:      10 Nov 1999 02:00:43 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Patient Monitoring !!

Joss Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com> writes:

> any programs out there for interpreting such ASCII commands.  any
> programs how to open serial port.  I mean assuming that I wont need to
> write a driver, since most probably the data is coming raw, and very
> basic out of these serial ports, so how would I capture this.  Any
> program headers for setting up the serial data communication is
> appreciated.  thanks alot.

Try using minicom for some initial tests.  It pretty much gives you
direct access to the device connected to the device.  However, since
serial communications are so complicated, or at least seem to be the
first few times, you might want to read the Serial-Programming HOWTO
distributed by the Linux Documentation Project.  Pretty good stuff, and
you'll surely be able to figure out the different device names of BSD.

Knowing the *right* settings for a device you're connected to over a
serial port can get at least tricky.  Stop bits, parity, data bits,
etc. so you might be searching for pins in straw unless you know the
settings used by your hardware.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]