Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 2003 05:17:23 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Takahashi Yoshihiro <nyan@jp.FreeBSD.org>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: buildworld trouble: multiple struct dos_partition.

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 phk@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

> In message <20030104.011305.74720364.nyan@jp.FreeBSD.org>, Takahashi Yoshihiro
> writes:
> >In article <10926.1041590588@critter.freebsd.dk>
> >Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org> writes:
> >
> >> I think you need to either #ifdef something here (and there may be
> >> more some similar code in places like truss or the debugger) or
> >> alternatively rename the structure to "pc98_partition" or similar.
> >
> >I think that the name "dos_partition" is not suitable for both i386
> >and pc98.  I wonder what does "dos" mean here.  For example, it should
> >be renamed to "mbr_partition" for i386 and "pc98_partition" for pc98,
> >respectively.
>
> You are correct in principle.

"pc98_partition" is OK, but "mbr_partition" is bogus since partition tables
are not restricted to the MBR -- there is one in every extended partition.

<sys/diskpc98.h> is similarly OK and <sys/diskmbr.h> is similarly bogus.

"at386" would be a better prefix/suffix than "mbr" for the non-pc98 pc's.
It is used for the main bus space header.

The normal prefix for "partition table" seems to be "" according to google.
FreeBSD has "dos_partition" and NetBSD has "mbr_partition".

Bruce