Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2018 10:45:04 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   An oddity of memory speeds and timings

Yesterday I inreased my memory speed on my Ryzen box from 2133 to 2400
as I had previously been underclocking it. Ryzens are sensetive to
memory clock speed as it affects the speed of the underlying fabric
between the cores as well as I understand it, so worth running it at
its rated speed.

I meausred the improvement by using 'time' on a CPU bound compile. It
speeded wall clock time up by abotu the expected amount, but what I
found curious looking at the breakdown of the timings reported by
time was that. there was no reduction in user time, but a drastic
reduction (25%!) in system time. Can anyone explain that ?

My only wild theory at the moment is that for a single process the user space
component is single threaded and shows no real improvement, but the
kerenl, being multi-threaded, will benifit from the speedup of the
interconnect between the cores. But I dont know if the timings measures by
time wuld actually show that.

Interesting though.

-pete.