Date:      Sun, 5 May 1996 12:45:46 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      jarekb@pap.waw.pl (Jaroslaw Bazydlo)
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   dot.cshrc and weird umask value

Can anyone tell me why on FreeBSD (the same with BSD/OS) there is the umask
value 2 ???? This simply couses producing group writable files. Imagine the
person which created .forward file, anyone in his group can modify this to
reforward files or duplicate mails.

This is in /usr/share/skel/dot.cshrc. I know that everyone can set proper
value of umask but some not experienced users do not know about it. And even
experienced administrators belive that the distribution skeleton files are
good enough to copy then into user directory. Is there a reason for this ????

J.
--
 \___/ \__,_|_| \_\__,_|____/. home-page: http://www.pap.waw.pl/~jarekb