Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:34:54 +0200
From:      Eirik Oeverby <ltning@anduin.net>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: atacontrol and creating raid-1 arrays

Søren Schmidt wrote:
> Eirik Øverby wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just done a 'cp /dev/ad4 /dev/ad6'. Those drives should be 100%
>> identical (even the same drive models). Will the command
>> 'atacontrol create RAID1 ad4 ad6' ruin the data on my drives?
>>
>> I ask because I am hoping to avoid the need for another 150 gigs of
>> space just to copy the data off of the drives before creating the
>> array...
>

> "depends"
>
> Since the RAID metadata has to be put on disk it wont work if you have
> that area used for real data. Depending on what controller you use the
> metadata can be stored in different places. Other than that it works if
> you are *sure* the disks are identical (dd with a decnet blocksize is
> *much* faster tha cp).

Yea, I used dd (blocksize 256kbyte proved optimal; ~40mbyte/sec) for my
final operation; was testing with cp first to make sure. This is a
Silicon Image SATA RAID controller which isn't supported by the ATA
driver in RAID mode, so it's purely software. Which, according to
another reply I got, uses the last 255 sectors on the disk. These were
already free, so I just tested - seems to work fine. Fsck has no
complaints. Other things I should do to verify?

Thanks,
/Eirik