Date:      23 Dec 97 19:32:14 +0100
From:      leifn@image.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptec AHA-2842A troubles

At 23 Dec 97 08:48:22 Leif Neland wrote regarding Adaptec AHA-2842A troubles

 LN> I have gotten an used 2842A, but it doesn't work.

 LN> Can anybody confirm that an 2842 might work on some boards, and
 LN> not on other?

7 hours later:

On the first 486, it never found the drives.

On the second 486, it didn't find the drives at boot (but the scsi-utility screen showed blank instead of "no device" at the scsi-id's with disks). If invoked with debug=d800:6, it found the disks, and a verify was possible. But this didn't make the disks usable, as they still weren't found at boot.

On the third 486, it worked.
This used to have an AVA-1505 and IDE, but now has the 2842A, and boots from IDE.

So now the first 486 boots (dos) from a 1542A, and has the fbsd-disks on the AVA-1505.

But I still can't understand why the scsi-bus works differently on different boards.

Leif Neland
leifn@image.dk

---