Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:52:59 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Darek M <darek@nyi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.X and postfix/postmap - corrupt maps

Darek M wrote:

> I am unable to use the 'postmap' program under 6.0- or 6.1-RELEASE. =20
> Instead of building a valid hash map, it puts in various data from=20
> what appears to be my /etc/master.passwd file, complete with crypted=20
> password.  I believe that this is some type of a library issue.
>
> I'm doing this with postfix-2.3.2 downloaded right off the website,=20
> but the same happened with earlier releases, as well as an install=20
> from the ports.
>
> As an example, I use the file 'transport' which contains
> # cat /etc/postfix/transport
> *       smtp:[192.168.0.1]:25
>
> The syntax is correct as I use it on 5.4 and 5.5 boxes (I've had to=20
> downgrade to that to be able to use postfix).
>
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD some.host.name 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0: Fri Jul 14=20
> 13:43:37 EDT 2006     darek@:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/SOME_KERNEL  i38=
6

> # /usr/sbin/postmap transport
>
> On a system where postmap works fine, this is what I get:
>
> # strings /etc/postfix/transport
> * smtp:[192.168.22.29]:25
>
> Please scroll down to APPENDIX_1 to see the 'strings' output on a 6.1=20
> box.  I tried this on 6.0 and 6.1 installed on a number of different=20
> machines, all with the same result, so I don't think that this is a=20
> memory or hardware issue.  I also tried this on 6.x, 4.10, 4.11, 5.4=20
> and 5.5 on the same system, and only the 6.x installs failed in this wa=
y.

> Also, scroll down to APPENDIX_2 for an strace of the postmap=20
> execution.  You will note that the open, read, and write calls often=20
> have weird info in them (I believe the filename part), with parts of=20
> strings, and random characters, like 'open("=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=
=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF'

> I got a couple USB-only Dell towers for my SMTP boxes, and FreeBSD=20
> below 6 doesn't recognize the keyboard during install.  So I'm forced=20
> to use 6.x with these.  Unless someone knows how to use a USB keyboard =

> in 5.5 installs...

I have no 6.X boxes so can't help directly, though I find it hard to=20
believe that postfix+6.X fails for everyone so strongly suspect=20
something local to the way you have installed, though have no clue what.

Some help debugging, though: you sent the output of strace on 6.1 with=20
the wacky file opens.  Try the same strace on 5.X and then diff the two=20
to see what ought to have been happening - that may give some clue as to =

what is actually going wrong.

As for USB keyboards + 5.5 - on 5.4 there was an install boot option=20
"boot with USB keyboard" or somesuch.  Don't know if that's still there=20
with 5.5, but it sounds like you have a 5.4 CD so you could try that. =20
The problem *may* be that 5.X doesn't support your USB chipset, of=20
course - no idea how likely that is.  Also search the BIOS for any USB=20
related options and try fiddling with them!  You don't mention the model =

of Dell, but you could try a google for the model + freebsd.

Searching the mailing list archives (or just plain google) for USB=20
keyboard should turn up some stuff as well - possibly far too much!

Final thought - what about postfix-21?  Does it do everything you need?  =

Does it have the same problem?

hth,

--Alex