Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:48:07 -0400
From:      Alexander Wittig <alexander@wittig.name>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   r205511 - ipfw.ko has unresolved symbols

Hello

Since the r205511 commit to 8-Stable my kernel can't load ipfw.ko any
more. The error message in dmsg is:

kernel: link_elf_obj: symbol ipfw_dyn_attach undefined
kernel: linker_load_file: Unsupported file type

A quick Google search for the first line brings up this message from
last December
(http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org/msg02276.html):

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:31:32PM -0500, David Horn wrote:
> >  I am seeing a kldload failure for ipfw.ko after the latest -current commits
> >  (fails for r200580 - r200633 inclusive) for ipfw:
> >
> >  link_elf_obj: symbol ipfw_dyn_attach undefined
>
> not surprising, as i forgot to put the new filenames in the Makefile
> for the module, and buildworld does not (and cannot) complain about
> unresolved symbols.
>
> Just committed a fix in r200636
>
> thanks
> luigi

Is it possible that there is the same issue with this commit?

For reference: uname -a
FreeBSD hotzenplotz.wittig.name 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #0: Wed
Mar 24 14:36:45 CET 2010
root@hotzenplotz.wittig.name:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ALEX  amd64

If I compile IPFW into the kernel everything works fine.

Thanks,
Alexander
(please CC me in replies as I'm not on freebsd-ipfw@)