Date:      Wed,  9 Jan 2002 22:43:49 +0100
From:      Adrian Steinmann <ast@marabu.ch>
To:        <sheldonh@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org>, Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>, Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: i386/33089: GENERIC bloat causes 'make world' to break (overfull floppy)

For 4.5-RELEASE I guess the PR may be closed. RELENG_4 (for the
time being) is obviously building 'make release' again because
someone else reduced the size of GENERIC mfs kernel by removing
shared memory definitions.

Nevertheless, sooner or later we may need more space due to further
kernel bloat, so bzip-ing the GENERIC kernel instead of gzip-ing
it would save some space - my diffs do just that which was my
solution to the problem in mid-december 2001 where 'make release'
was failing and the BOOTMFS kernel had to get smaller one way or
the other.

My suggestion would be to put a form of this change into -current,
and if we need it (in the case of further kernel bloat) after
4.5-RELEASE, we can then easily MFC it.

There is still the question of where the loader compile flags should
be put, since WORLD_FLAGS may be a bit too generic place for this.

I'm copying all the people who communicated with me at the time
concerning the thread called
    Re: Waaaarg, we just blew out the kernel again..
in freebsd-stable. which started all this.

Adrian