Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 99 09:22:14 -0500
From:      FreeBSD Questions <freebsd@netsys.hn>
To:        "amanda-users@amanda.org" <amanda-users@amanda.org>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Amanda Experts: amrecover doesn't work?

-- [ From: FreeBSD Questions * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Hello, amanda users, maybe some of you can help me. I'm using FreeBSD 2.2.2
and amanda 2.4.1. I am using four tapes VOL02, VOL03, VOL04 and VOL05. Now I
will explain my problems.

1. I do one backup weekly on sundays. After using VOL04 the next amanda run
should go to VOL01. On Monday I went to check how amanda ran but it said
that the tape I had put on the tape drive was not an amanda tape, and of
course was VOL01. I created VOL05 and removed VOL01 from data base. Some
clue on this?

2. Last dump was to VOL02, now I want to recover a file that is there. I use
amrecover and add the file to the extracting list. Everething is fine so far
. Then I type extract at the amrecover> prompt and get this:

amrecover> extract

Extracting files using tape drive /dev/nrst0 on host mail.netsys.hn.
The following tapes are needed: VOL02

Restoring files into directory /usr/home/quintana
Continue? [Y/n]: y

Load tape VOL02 now
Continue? [Y/n]: y
EOF, check amidxtaped.debug file.
amrecover: short block 0 bytes
UNKNOWN file
amrecover: Can't read file header
extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 1
9:04 mail: {103}
--------
9:06 mail: {109} more amidxtaped.debug
amidxtaped: debug 1 pid 5603 ruid 1712 euid 1712 start time Tue Jan 19 09:04
:46 1999
amidxtaped: version 2.4.1p1
> SECURITY USER root
bsd security: remote host mail.netsys.hn user root local user amanda
amandahosts security check passed
> 6
amrestore_nargs=6
> -h
> -p
> /dev/nrst0
> mail.netsys.hn
> ^sd0a$
> 19990117
Ready to execv amrestore with:
path = /usr/local/sbin/amrestore
argv[0] = "amrestore"
argv[1] = "-h"
argv[2] = "-p"
argv[3] = "/dev/nrst0"
argv[4] = "mail.netsys.hn"
argv[5] = "^sd0a$"
argv[6] = "19990117"
amrestore:   0: skipping start of tape: date 19990117 label VOL02
amrestore:   1: skipping internet.netsys.hn.sd0a.19990117.0
amrestore: missing file header block
amrestore:   2: reached end of tape: date 19990117
amidxtaped: amrestore terminated normally with status: 1
Rewinding tape: done
amidxtaped: pid 5603 finish time Tue Jan 19 09:04:54 1999
9:06 mail: {110}

Some clue on this?

3. Last question. How can I recover a file that is on an older tape. For
example I want the file /var/mail/ayalaser that was saved one week ago.
amreceover will always ask for the last tape right?

Thanks for your help.

Pablo Quintana