Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:52:19 +0900
From:      Aaron Stephanic <astephan@cs.kent.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   freeze

I've had a server freeze three times on me know and I have no idea what
the problem is... of course nothing gets output to the logs.  The first
time it was at 3AM on a Sunday so I thought the problem must be one of
the periodic scripts.  But those seemed fine when run by hand.  The
second two times it was just after 11PM on a Thursday.  Does anyone know
what could be running at that time?  This is a dual Xeon machine and the
kernel and world were compiled with a pentium4 CPUTYPE, but I thought
that could be the problem so the last time it froze I recompiled
everything for i686.  But it froze again.  There are still some
installed ports compiled for pentium4.  Now I'm thinking it could be
PAE.  I'm using the PAE config file that ships with 5.3 with a few extra
settings.  I think I'm going to disable that.  Is there any way I can
get more information if/when it freezes next time?  Thanks.

Aaron Stephanic