Date:      Mon, 03 Jul 2000 22:52:32 -0400
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Apache+PHP3 build problems

Since I don't belong to any Apache or PHP mailing lists, I'm hoping that
someone here may have played with building Apache+PHP3 (or PHP4) with
IMAP support. Apparently, the FreeBSD package (3.3-RELEASE) doesn't have
IMAP support, which I need for TWIG.

I tried to do a build using the instructions on the PHP site and the
slightly differing instructions on the Apache site, but was unsuccessful
after many hours of trying.

Here's what I was doing. I downloaded Apache 1.3.12 and php-3.0.16
tar balls. I unpacked them in the same directory. Then I cd'd to
Apache's
build directory, and ran ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
(that's where I wanted it to live instead of /www, which is suggested !?
) .
I then went to the PHP build directory and did a ./configure
--with-apache=
../apache_1.3.12 --with-mysql --with-imap. This built libphp3.a and
installed
it into the Apache build tree at src/modules/php3. I then tried adding
"AddModule modules/php3/libphp3.a" to the end of the src/Configuration
file in apache and doing a build in the Apache directory with
make and make install.

What I end up with is a bunch of unresolved references to "ap_(etc)",
which,
I believe, is in the APACI install stuff.

I also need mod_so in the Apache build so that I can add modules at
runtime (I use mod_roaming). I built just a basic Apache without the
PHP stuff and this didn't work either. I uncommented the line in
src/modules for mod_so and built Apache. When I do "http -l" it doesn't
show up in the module list and trying to do "LoadModule" in the .conf
script produces an error indicating that support for "LoadModule" is
not installed. I also tried --enable=so .

The instructions on the php.net site and on the Apache site differ
somewhat. I've tried it in every combination of the two and ended up
with no joy.

Anyone built this? Also, has anyone built these with SSL support also?
Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Jim Durham