Date:      Tue,  7 Aug 2001 03:39:29 -0500
From:      "mrherndon" <mrherndon@mail.ev1.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   broken install of X

Hello...please be gentle with me...I am completely new to Free BSD
I just bought it at the Fry's electronics in Houston.TX...It says
it is version 4.2 Powerdesk if that makes it easier to know what
version I have.

I am really excited that I am going to learn Unix, since I have
been messing around with different distros of Linux for about 10
months...just took the plunge...anyway

I got throught the install just fine....did the detailed
install...answered all the questions added gnome...selected KDE
for desktop...configured X (it looked good). It does boot fine,
but......when I startx....it comes up with a broken pipe...was
there any problems with this in the version that I have? Any
suggestions on where to look to learn how to fix it? My experience
at least with Linux was the documentation assumes you have a high
proficiency level with the OS as far as the docs go....hoping the
docs here will be written a little more for the beginner...at
least give a complete breakdown before going into detail...

Regards,

Mel

Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net