Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:03:46 -0800
From:      "Gayn Winters" <gaynw@bristolsystems.com>
To:        "'Pietro Cerutti'" <pietro.cerutti@gmail.com>, "'Chris Whitehouse'" <chris@childeric.freeserve.co.uk>, "'FreeBSD'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD starter machine

One disadvantage to dual boot is that you can't get one OS to talk to
the other over the net. This disadvantage is shared by the above idea.
You can, however, transfer files via a shared file system, and this is
worth learning.  Of course, a special case is to share files via CD,
floppy, jump drive, etc.

If you are not careful you can mess up your boot block.  Windows will do
this for you without asking permission!  This is easily repaired,
however.

While switching boot disk in the BIOS works, if you've gone to the
trouble to mount a second disk and load FreeBSD on it, I'd recommend
just installing the FreeBSD boot loader.  In the installation process,
just say "yes" to that question, and you're set!  Other boot loaders
have their proponents. Grub seems to be very popular.  As unfriendly as
it is, even the NT boot loader can be made to work (I think the Handbook
has a section on this).

-gayn

Bristol Systems Inc.
714/532-6776