Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 12:02:25 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        hetzels@westbend.net, jeh@FreeBSD.ORG, sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG, joseph@randomnetworks.com, lioux@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/www Makefile ports/www/frontpage-es  Makefiledistinfo pkg-comment

On Wed 2002-01-02 (12:27), Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> On 30 Dec, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
>
> >> But this  is off-topic  -- it  is up  to the  "Bento team"  to devise
> >> the  new  scheme --  the  existing  "one  package  per port"  one  is
> >> insufficient.
>
> > No, like everything, it's up to the person complaining to actually get
> > the work done -  either by motivating others to do  the work, or doing
> > it themselves.
>
> My complaint  is not,  that the  package building  scheme is  broken (it
> seems to  be, but I  personally don't care). It  is about the  number of
> "sattelite" ports, whose ONLY reason  for existence is automatic package
> building.
>
> Such  ports   are  inconsistent  and   confusing  (where  are   all  the
> incarnations of php and ghostscript,  for example? Or the separate ports
> for each of the kde2 i18n parts?) and should be removed, IMO.

Actually, now that you mention it, last time I checked, NetBSD has, for
example, php-mysql ports which provide mysql support for PHP.  We should
probably work on that and the others.  Maybe then I can install php4 and
postgresql and php4-postgresql packages on my machines without having to
install the ports collection (and compilers, in one case).

But ghostscript, I imagine, doesn't support being built once, and having
stuff added on later, so it's not a target.  But luckily someone was
clever and removed the X dependency when making the ghostscript-nox11
port.  Yay, now I can use ghostscript on my machines out of the box from
the package!

(This would be a joking reminder that people disagree with you and don't
use FreeBSD the _exact_ _same_ _way_ as you, and that's not a problem,
and thus we should try to accomodate people as much as possible.)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@mithrandr.moria.org