Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 2003 02:38:39 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, patrick@filespanker.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcm0 freezes computer with recent -STABLE

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 02:32 pm, Kent Stewart wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 September 2003 07:42 am, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> > In message: <200309240310.12685.patrick@filespanker.com>
> >
> >             Patrick C <patrick@filespanker.com> writes:
> > : On September 22, 2003 06:37 pm, you wrote:
> > : > In message: <3F6F8857.200@tenebras.com>
> > : >
> > : >             Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com> writes:
> > : > : Patrick C wrote:
> > : > : > I just cvsup'd Sept 21, installed everything today...
> > : > : > kernel freezes when detecting pcm0 during boot. After
> > : > : > removing my soundcard, I'm able to boot no problem. Any
> > : > : > major changes to pcm0 in -STABLE lately?
> > : > :
> > : > : This happened intermittently to my Dell Inspiron -- there is
> > : > : a bug in the pcibus.c device probe, actually.   See if the
> > : > : following cures it.  Warner supposedly had a more correct
> > : > : revision, but I don't think it's been mfc'd.
> > : >
> > : > Yes.  I'm pretty sure it has been MFC'd.  Checking just now
> > : > shows that it has been MFC'd.
> > : >
> > : > Warner
> > :
> > : Nope. cvsup'd today after reading this, built and installed
> > : kernel/world again... same problem. FWIW, switching BIOS to PnP
> > : seems to fix that, but then my NIC doesn't work (yes, I realize
> > : it can be configured to work)
> >
> > this isn't the pci scanning changes then.  There's some other
> > problem at work here.  the pci scanning issue is known to only
> > impact weird CPUs found currently in Soekris boxes...
>
> When I did the RELENG_4 update with the security patch in it to this
> system (topaz) with USB on it, the boot died with the latest
> 4.9-prefelease. It also completely hung my kvm switch. That happens
> occasionally but had never been caused by topaz before. My gateway
> computer is not having any problems with the same code.
>
> I will go back when it is quiet and see where the boot stops.

The section of the dmesg and the location where the boot freezes.

ohci0: <SiS 5571 USB controller> mem 0xcffce000-0xcffcefff irq 10 at
device 2.2 on pci0
usb0: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
usb0: <SiS 5571 USB controller> on ohci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: SiS OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

The boot hangs at this point. It also freezes the kvm switch. It was
cvsup'ed at 1822 PDT ( 0122 UTC). I am back to running the kernel from
30 August.

Kent

uhub1: Texas Instruments UT-USB41 hub, class 9/0, rev 1.10/1.10, addr 2
uhid0: Microsoft SideWinder Game Voice, rev 1.10/1.01, addr 3, iclass
3/0
ohci1: <SiS 5571 USB controller> mem 0xcffcf000-0xcffcffff irq 10 at
device 2.3 on pci0

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA