Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 2009 18:17:24 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cannot get FreeBSD 7.X to load on HP z400

I cannot get FreeBSD 7.X to load on an HP z400.  I have tried 7.1 i386=20
release, 7.1 amd64 release, 7.2 amd64 RC2, 8.0 amd64 current.

In all versions the loader stops just after the message:
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0

I have tried to simplify the setup of this unit to a single SATA drive, and=
=20
a single SATA CD/DVD drive.

I have tried various BIOS settings, turning on and off cores in the CPU,=20
changing other IO setting, but still the install hangs.

The z400 has the Intel=AE X58 Express chipset and a 4 core W3520 Xeon=20
CPU.  This particular unit has 4GB RAM.  If I can get the amd64 version to=
=20
load on it, I'd like to run it with more RAM.  But obviously the first=20
hurdle is getting the OS to boot to sysinstall.

Any help would be appreciated.

         -Derek
         derek at computinginnovations.com

--=20