Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2000 00:53:49 -0700
From:      Damien Tougas <damien@tougas.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GUIs are flawed

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 01:02:54AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> I also believe that GUIs can be rationally utilized to encapsulate
> UNIX command line functionality; it's not the fault of the GUI
> paradigm that most GUI implementations fail the rationality test,
> it is the fault of their programmers, and of those who rail on
> about the impossibility of rationality in the first place.

I have to say that I totally agree with you on that one. A this point,
it seems like the designers of GUIs do try to implement some sort of
rational scheme, but often it is more at the programming level than it
is at the user level. As a user, I really don't care how the applications
talk to each other, but what I do care about is how I can make them
do what _I_ want. And when I mean "do what I want" I don't mean
change the look of the widgets through some sort of theme package,
I want to actually use programs together to make my job easier.

--
Damien Tougas, P.Eng.
Phone: (780)434-5889