Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 2015 22:37:50 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB DVD recorder rips too slowly

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 10:35 PM, Erich Dollansky <
erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 12:51:46 -0800
> Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I recently purchased a no-name DVD player/recorder. It works normally
> > (at least for reading) on Windows, but won't work well on FreeBSD.
> > grip reports a speed of no more than 2.2x and only gets there at the
> > end of  track, so it takes a long time to rip a disc... almost as
> > long as to play it. Windows gets to about 24x on inner tracks and
> > well over 30x on outer ones.
> >
> > In the case that this is simply not going to work, any suggestions
> > for a cheap USB CD/DVD unit that works well with FreeBSD?
>
> what happens when you copy the data with dd?
>
> I have also an external DVD drive which works fine but I do not rip
> DVDs with it, I only copy them.
>
> Erich

It's becoming more clear that the drive is defective. Today I tried playing
the fourth movement of Beethoven's 9th which I ripped with Windows and it
would not play. The Bruce Springsteen I ripped with cdparanoia (very
slowly) did play, but I am pretty sure that it was slow because cdparamoia
had to read the data repeatedly to get it to read correctly .I've seen this
when I would rip an old CD and it hit a damaged spot. It's liek the entire
CD was a damaged spot.

Thanks to Adam and Erich for the suggestions, but I no longer think that
this is a FreeBSD issue.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com