Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 1996 21:14:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <jeffrey_m._metcalf@ccmail.bms.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, metcalf@imagine.com
Subject:   Re: What are DAT tape drives?

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Jeffrey M. Metcalf wrote:

>      I was hoping somebody could quickly describe to me what DAT tape
>      drives are, their varieties, and how their support and performance is
>      under FreeBSD.  Do you know where I could get good deals?

DAT stands for "Digital Audio Tape" and is a newer form of the original
casette tape.  They are larger (resembling 8mm videotapes) and hold more
data.  Like the casette storage devices of old, many DAT-based tape backup
solutions have sprung up recently.  The cost of the device and tape is
offset by their incredible storage capacity -- up to 8GB.

There are two main classes of DAT encoding:  DDS-1 and DDS-2.  DDS-2 is
newer and can hold more but is more expensive

All the DATs you'll find are SCSI interfaced and as such are compatible
with FreeBSD. The most recommended are made by HP.  A search of the mail
archives should reveal the relevant part numbers.

Hope this helps and maybe someone who actually knows something about DAT
can comment.  :-)