Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:56:27 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Debugging over the Ethernet?

Julian Elischer wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Michael Smith wrote:
> > There was a very small TCP/IP stack mentioned on /. the other day; it
> > looked close to ideal for this application.
>
> though I think it is probably better to use a UDP transport rther than
> TCP it would be worth checking it out I guess.

I looked for it, but couldn't find it, going back over
a week in the slashdot archives.

Personally, I find the TCP approach a good idea, but
too heavy weight for the problem, I think.

Without TCP, you have to implement your own version of
retry and ack (equivalent to negotiating a window size
of 1), and so you have to redo what's already there.

The other issue with TCP is that you can set up specific
flows in the company firewall, and also permit SSLeay
based tunnel encapsulation from outside via an intermediate
machine.  This isn't really required for off-site debugging,
but it gives another option.

Since the OS X stuff is fairly well documented, it couldn't
hurt to be interoperable with that.

Standards are wonderful: there's so many to choose from.

;^).

-- Terry