Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 14:50:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Chiu <chiuk@cs.indiana.edu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>, John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: 3 days to E-day

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Chuck Robey wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth wrote:
> >
> > Oh bother. I bought a copy of XIG's Motif 2.0 a couple of months
> > ago. The CD has BSDI, FreeBSD & Linux binaries on it. The linux
> > binaries are ELF, but I don't know how deeply libXm et cetera delve
> > into linux's libc. I wonder if I could hit them for an upgrade when
>
> No, they don't have a new one.  I just checked.  The salesman wasn't
> sure if they'd tracked 2.2.5 or 2.2.6 with the last one, but don't hold
> your breath.

I'm thinking about getting Motif, but am concerned about being
dependent on XIG for a 3.0 version.  First, how hard would it be
to write a program to convert a.out to ELF?  Is it just a matter
of converting the relocation table, symbol table, and string table?
Or will the 3.0 loader be able to mix and match ELF and a.out?

Second, even if the library was converted to ELF, would a 2.2.X
libXm library work on a 3.0 system?