Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 00:14:54 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <Nyteckjobs@aol.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: (no subject)

But I do, as a matter of fact.

The whole thread on the WANic that got fired up a month ago or so when they
made their announcement that they were dumping the WANic 405 was centered
around
the fact that this was just one less synchronous serial interface card that
had an open source driver available.

I was not arguing that we should dump a lot of effort into a binary-only
driver for the successor cards, the WANic 5xx series, I was arguing for
disclosure of the registers for it.  It was rapidly made clear by Imagestream
that they were totally uninterested in going back to SDL, Rockwell and one
other company I forget which and arguing for such disclosure.  After that I
suggested to some other people that got interested in it that a binary
driver was possible under NDA, but I certainly wasn't advocating it by that
statement.

I happen to know that there's a Nokia developer somewhere working on a binary
driver for the 5xx series and FreeBSD 2.2.8.  But I cannot recommend WANic
cards anymore because there's no guarentee that this driver will ever leave
Nokia, or
even be completed.  And as far as other sync cards for FreeBSD, I have no
experience with them and they are much more recent additions.  As of now the
ET cards have a compelling advantage over the rest of the sync cards for
FreeBSD because they have more history of use under it.

>I seem to remember reading in some book that  the main advantage FreeBSD has
>over linux is its corporate-friendly license (who wrote that thing
>anyway?)...yet you bash the concept of using the license. It seems a bit
>hypocritcal to me.

As a matter of fact, in that book your taking about, on page 193 it
specifically
list the Evergreen Technologies synchronous serial card along with the WANic
as
T1 interface cards into FreeBSD.  And it also states on that same page that
using
a Cisco as a T1 interface router is "safer but more expensive" followed by a
list of paragraphs that explain why the extra money is worth the hassle.
Nowhere
in there is any discussion or statement that the card and driver set that has
the open source driver (ie: the WANic) is "better" than the card and driver
that
has a binary-only driver (ie: the ET card)

Of course, all this was written before the bottom dropped out of the used
router market, today you can get a 1601 and DSU for $400 and it's extremely
difficult to justify use of a PC as a leaf-node router because it simply isn't
as resistant to physical environmental stresses as a total hardware router
with no moving parts.

I still argue that anyone running BGP and multihoming T1's (which probably
describes 3/4 of the smaller ISP's in the world) can get better performance
at a lower price from a FreeBSD router with sync cards in it than the Cisco
recommended solution (3660 or 7200 series or greater)  But even the prices on
used high-end Cisco gear are falling and it could be argued that this may not
be true anymore.

As far as the debate between an open source driver vs a closed source driver,
I'll say this much about this issue in regards to T1 cards.  Simply put the T1
interface hasn't changed in 20 years (probably a lot longer) and given the
glacial pace of change of the US phone system, I expect that there will be
T1's still being provisioned when I'm an old Grandpa with my beard down to my
knees.  I routinely purchase DSU's today on the seconds market for use with
brand
new T1 installs that have manufacture dates of the late 80's.  I have a
concern
about the ET cards because if I bought an ET card today for use in a router I
would expect to be able to use that card for another 20 years, or at least
until the PCI slot is no longer available on PC hardware.  Buying a card
that has binary only drivers ties you to a specific version of the OS - what
if something happens to ET?

As far as I know about Evergreen Technologies, the source code for the drivers
is not being held in Escrow by anyone.  Thus if the main developer at ET gets
hit by a bus tomorrow, the code dies with him, and the cards will never be
able to be used in a future FreeBSD version. I'd feel a lot better about ET
cards if there was a public statement on the website that in the event ET
ceases to exist as an entity, or decides to stop supporting FreeBSD, that the
FreeBSD driver source would be immediately donated to FreeBSD as open source.

You might be surprised but at the ISP I work at we currently use a billing
system called Billmax that was originally developed on FreeBSD.  This system
has part of it's code in binary-only.  When I selected them as the accounting
system to use several years ago, code escrow was a mandatory requirement by us
and
they happily complied.

I'm not opposed to binary-only software on FreeBSD but there's a difference
between companies that write software for FreeBSD and use binary-only releases
to help preserve competitive advantage, and companies that just simply
don't release source, period.  It's quite possible to do controlled releases
where you implement some new idea in a binary module and keep it binary for a
few years, then when you have made your profit on it you open it up, because
by then you have the next new idea implemented and are making your money off
of
that one.