Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 01:50:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        FreeBSd Chat list <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why can't upgrades be simpler?

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> As I considering giving up on upgrading a box from 3.4 Stable to
> 4.X I wonder why can't upgrades be made more gradual for those
> of us  following stable?

As others have pointed out, you weren't following stable, you were jumping
to a whole new version.

The simple, painless way to do this is to do a binary upgrade, not a
source one.

> Must it be this way forever?

Source-level upgrades will always be fraught with danger, especially those
which cross major revisions.

> Are BSDI upgrades any better?

I've never installed BSD/OS, but I'd bet they're not significantly better
than our binary upgrades, which are the equivalent operation.

Kris