Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 12:01:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Charlie Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can i run some windows95 programs - HOLD YOUR HORSES !!

Hi ALL,
Every on please hold your horses,
WINE is a good but still ALPHA software,
I like the idea of being able to run Microsofties
on FreeBSD, in addition to linux, DOS 8088 mode, and
others, but WINE still has a long way to go,
including Programming, and Testing of ALL MS windows API,
Which are extremely diverse, and DONT froget that this
created much of the DREADED [Close] [Ignore] stuff,
in windows, Not to mention windows 95.

I think the people doing wine are heros,
since they will SOON have to dig into win 98 ;-)

So if you are really serious about Microsofties,
it is SAFEST now to run at HOME, I mean under Windows.
If you like TESTING ALPHA stuff, like me, you are Welcome.

In addition, Never to expect the MS programs will run,
neither better nor FASTER, under wine, so if you are
really doing Professional stuff, stick to MS windows,
otherwise tou'll be blaming yourself for any unexpected
crashed, aka core dumping, while a 3 MB spreadsheet or
windword Doc, is still UNSAVED.

---Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Larry S. Marso wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Dec 21, 1997 at 03:54:34PM -0800, Alex wrote:
> > >
> > > stage, but it works fairly well, and even runs WinWord.
> >
> > Are you serious?  Does it run Excel?  (The later is the only
*must* run M$
> > app for me, professionally.
>
> Yes, I've seen many reports that it runs WinWord, however to do that
one
> probably needs a fair share of MS dll's as some of the emulated
copies are
> fairly broken.  I personally haven't tried either word or Excel, but
it's
> reasonably fast, and probably worth a try.  Chances are you'll need to
> recompile your kernel (with options USER_LDT in your config file).  I
> personally haven't used wine in a long time, but snapshots are made
about
> twice a month.
>
> > Is there a site with alleged compatibilities listed?
>
> I've long lost the url, but wine itself is on sunsite
> (/pub/Linux/ALPHA/developtment or something like that), and its
newsgroup
> has a low noise ratio.
>
> - alex

==