Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 2002 15:00:43 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
Cc:        Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>, Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Dominic Marks wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 07:25:52PM +0000, Kris Kirby wrote:
> > On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > First, there is already an individual who has colonized an oil rig
> > > in the North Atlantic in this fashion.  It was fairly widely reported
> > > about four weeks ago.  Second, finding a location where you can be
> > > free of lawyers is *your* problem, not mine.
> >
> > URL. I must see this. (I don't watch TV anymore.)
>
> http://www.sealandgov.com/
>
> I don't think this is what the original poster is refering to because
> Sealand has existed for much longer than four weeks, however it is an
> example of the same thing.

Yes, I was referring the Sealand.

It was widely reported 4 weeks ago because of some banking
story that happened, not because it had just declared
independence.

A similar example can be found at:

	http://oceania.org/

It's basically dead as a project.

Another project was actually started, and a small atrificial
island was actually constructed during an initial phase.

But it's a much less useful example for the purposes of this
discussion, since once the prject started building on the atol
to the point that it had something sticking out of the water
full time, the United States Government paid the Tongan Navy
to sail out and plant the Tongan flag on it, claiming the
land for Tonga.

The people behind Ocenia are currently working on a project
to build an orbital space platform, for the same purpose.  I
guess that's one way to avoid the Tongan Navy...

	http://lifeboat.com/ex/

-- Terry