Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:35:44 +0800
From:      "Archimedes S. Gaviola" <agaviola@infoweapons.com>
To:        "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@FreeBSD.org>,  "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Removal of mrouted in FreeBSD-7.0]

Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
> Archimedes S. Gaviola wrote:
>> Hi! I have just read from the FreeBSD-7.0 release notes
>> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/relnotes.html that the mrouted
>> multicast routing protocol (DVMRP implementation) has been removed
>> from the base system. I want to know what multicast routing protocol
>> will served as replacement to this? The KAME snap kit have PIM-SM and
>> PIM-DM implementations but are specific only to IPv6.
>
> DVMRP is something of a legacy protocol now, most deployments use PIM-SM.
>
> mrouted is still available in ports as other folk have pointed out
>
> If you want a freely available router with full multicast capability,
> please give XORP a try.

Thanks Bruce and Andrey to your reply! Yes DVMRP is a legacy protocol
which I've known many users used it on the IP multicast backbone (MBONE)
deployment. Yes XORP, which I'm familiar with and have used it but if
ever there's a way to implement IP multicasting with PIM-SM and or
PIM-DM in the FreeBSD base system, how big is the work would be?  What
are the things that needs to be considered if we are going to implement
PIM-SM and or PIM-DM to the current FreeBSD network subsystem? The goal
is to be able FreeBSD to provide native IP multicast using PIM just like
the way DVMRP protocol is implemented before as part of the base system.

Thanks,

Archimedes