Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 12:52:12 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Experiences with aout-to-elf and new bootblocks

I have been experimenting with moving a 2.2.6-RELEASE system to 3.0
(-current for now, but probably moving towards -stable).  Not wanting
to totally trash my current system until I have the new one working,
I've been building 3.0 on a second disk [mounted as /3.0 on my 2.x
system].

I'm using CTM 'cvs-cur 4996' as a base.

My experiences with 'DESTDIR=/3.0 make aout-to-elf' are:
1) The _real_ system libraries are moved, rather than the ones
   relative to /3.0.  I then need to manually move them back and
   repeat the ldconfig to keep my 2.x system consistent.
2) The miniperl built during the perl5 build looks in
   /usr/libdata/perl for it's libraries, although they're installed
   in /3.0/usr/libdata/perl.  A manual symbolic link fixed that.
3) During the kernel build (do_aout_kernel), config fails because
   it is using the 2.x config instead of the one it just built.
   I solved this with "chroot /3.0 'build kernel'"

Other than the above, everything worked (although I wasn't game to try
the do_install_kernel_reboot step and installed the new kernel
manually).

[I also needed to manually run 'make distribution' in .../src/etc
 to initially populate the new /etc - before manually transferring
 my system configuration].

I then had a look at the new bootblocks (following Peter's elfday
tutorial: http://www.freebsd.org/~peter/elfday.html).  I found that
/boot/loader could load my 2.x kernel (although it happily handled
[gzip'd] -current kernels in both a.out and ELF format).  The stage2
loader boot: prompt happily loaded the 2.x kernel.  When /boot/loader
tries to load my 2.x kernel, the screen displays gibberish and the
system locks up (hard reset needed).  Any ideas on this one?

Finally, whilst I can happily load a 3.x kernel from my 2nd HD,
the kernel is confused about where it's loading from:  It can't
find root and panics.

System details: PII-266 with IDE disks:
primary master:   wd0:  dualboot (W95/FreeBSD 2.x)
primary slave:    ATAPI cdrom
secondary master: wd2: FreeBSD 3.0 (not dangerously dedicated)
secondary slave:  not present

Both the 2.x and -current kernels correctly recognize both disks
during the probes.  When I try to boot from wd2a, the kernel
reports:
changing root device to wd1s1a
changing root device to wd1a
error 6: panic cannot mount root(2)

If I recall correctly, the problem here is that the BIOS is reporting
the 2 HDs as 0 and 1, rather than 0 and 2.  I can't recall what the
work-around is (I'd prefer not to juggle the disks).  Any suggestions?

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Alcatel Australia Limited