Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 2009 20:25:28 +0300
From:      Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass9573@gmx.com>
To:        Gary Gatten <Ggatten@waddell.com>
Cc:        arctic@alkar.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network card Intel and 802.1P tag

Gary Gatten wrote:
> Not ALL chipsets / drivers support 802.1Q / p , maybe this is one of them?

The vlan driver handles tagging itself in software. You don't need
support by the hardware driver or the NIC itself. That said, Intel
NICs are known to work correctly and support dot1Q tags natively in
hardware. Maybe this behavior is some regression with the priority
tags, which by the way are completely ignored by the vlan driver.
You cannot set a priority tag or have the vlan driver process it
in a special way. I guess processing priority tags is not very useful
since one cannot expect a FreeBSD box to replace a switch!

As I understand Andrey just runs tcpdump on the physical interface.
He doesn't use the vlan driver. He should see everything that reaches
the ethernet port. tagged or not.

Nikos