Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:51:49 -0400
From:      Gerard Samuel <gsam@trini0.org>
To:        Brossin Pierrick <pbrossin@swissgeeks.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Chroot

Your first half made total sense, and I was able to lock the root user
in /home/developer when
chroot was executed.
Your second half however, is not clicking with me at the moment.  Here
is what I did....
1.  Under /home/developer/bin create a new file (my_sh) with this ->
#!/bin/sh
/home/developer/bin/sh
chroot /home/developer/

2.  Chmod the file 555, chown root:wheel
3.  Enter vipw, and change the user "developer" shell to
/home/developer/bin/my_sh

With these modifications, I can ssh into the account, but I can still
"break root" by cd'ing out of the home directory.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks

Brossin Pierrick wrote:

>Hi,
>
>|| Im trying to figure out how to restrict users from leaving their home
>|| directories.
>|| I would enter the new directory /usr/home/developer and issue the
>|| chroot command ->
>|| hivemind# chroot /usr/home/developer
>|| chroot: /bin/csh: No such file or directory
>
>It's because a chrooted directory is like the root dir of your system !
>You have to create 'bin' 'etc' and stuff into /usr/home/developer.
>You should also copy csh into /usr/home/developer/bin.
>
>Your chrooted system will be completely independent of your system.
>This means if the user developer logs on, he won't be able to access the
>real /etc for example.
>
>I hope I'm clear enough.
>
>www.google.com for more info .. just type in "freebsd chroot".
>
>|| What am I doing wrong??
>|| Also when this is set, how do I make it persist throught reboots.
>|| Make my own script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d ???
>|| Thanks for any insight you may provide....
>
>Just create a shell script and run it instead of running tcsh or sh or ...
>run 'vipw' and change it.
>
>Cya

Gerard Samuel
http://www.trini0.org:81/