Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 1996 23:37:55 -0600 (CST)
From:      FreeBSD Acct <freebsd@dyslexic.phoenix.net>
To:        michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
Cc:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, dwoods@netgazer.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Disk Striping

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, michael butler wrote:

> It is, however, quite valid to stripe any one activity, such as scribbling
> out the articles across multiple drives. You could, for example, use two
> striped drives for the history stuff, one for the overview (only if you have
> any readers) and two striped for the article spool to achieve what you're
> after. Even better, split the two striped arrangements onto two separate
> (SCSI) controllers,

Our news servers here, are P166's with 128Mb each, with two Adaptec3940
PCI cards.

There are four 4Gig drives, each has its own separage SCSI controller as
the 3940 has two controllers per card.

The drives are identical, and in a CCD array.

The pair of news servers boots from IDE..and swaps on the IDE as well.
*Yes, I know, the IDE isnt that fast for swap* But its rarely more than
20Mb into it anyway under INN 1.5pre.

Compared to how we had the news farm before..the CCD is many many times
faster and more efficient.

Special thanks to Rod Grimes for suggesting a 64k block size on the
CCD...you'll have to ask him why..he understands those FS kinda things...

Geoff