Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:11:21 -0700
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@alerce.com>
To:        Dwayne MacKinnon <dmk@ncf.ca>
Cc:        kde-freebsd@kde.org, freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't automount without being root

Dwayne MacKinnon writes:
 > Hi folks,
 >
 > I'm using KDE-3.5.8 on FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE. Since the HAL upgrade I can't
 > automount as an "ordinary" user anymore. I get the following error message in
 > Konqueror:
 >
 > org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable no <-- (action, result)
 >
 > Automounting as root is fine. My user, btw, is set up as a member of both the
 > wheel and operator groups.

I just posted my experiences with the upgrade to gnome 2.22 and
mentioned this trick:

 : My usb memory stick to automount would not automagically mount, even
 : though I'm in the operator group.  Some googling suggested that I
 : should add:
 :   <match action="org.freedesktop.halstorage.mount-removable">
 :    <return result="yes">
 :   </match>
 : to /usr/local/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf.  Now my memory stick
 : mounts automagically.  Is this normally required?  Did I miss it in
 : the freebsd gnome FAQ or should it be added?

I don't know if it should have been necessary, but it seems to have
helped.

g.