Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 1996 09:14:12 +0200
From:      Gunter Loos <Gul@ngonet.be>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: user-ppp problem

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 09:13:28 +0200
From: Gunter Loos <Gul@ngonet.be>
To: dlr <dlr@asylum.org>

dlr wrote:

> > My user ppp software  (ppp) can only connect to internet once
> >
> > At the second dial, after it enter Packet mode, there is an error message:
> >
> > rtinit:wrong ifa (0xf0712e80) was (0xf0709980)
> > /kernel:rtinit wrong ifa (...
> >
> > or sometime:
> >
> > SIO.. file exists
> >
> > If the error come, i can not reach outside, I have to re boot the system.
> >
> > I wander what is going on here, Is there any way I can connect internet again without
> > rebooting?
> >
> > Please help...
>
> When the connection fails do a ps -uax | grep pppd and look
-- snip

User ppp doesn't use the pppd. As far as I know, the SIOCIFADDR: file exists error
happens a lot, seems to be just an annoying bug. Doesn't harm anyone.

Can't help on the rtinit, though. Anyone?
Personally, I recommend using pppd, the kernel mode. I switched to it a few weeks ago and
boom: no errors anymore; better connections and the lot...

Gunter
--
  .    .__    . |Nationaal Centrum voor OntwikkelingsSamenwerking vzw, NgoNet
 _| _  [ __   | |Voice    Gunter.Loos@+32 2 5392620       Fax   +32 2 5391343