Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2010 15:30:45 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "John H. Baldwin" <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Enabling MCA causes system hangs

on 10/09/2010 10:28 Andriy Gapon said the following:
> on 10/09/2010 05:36 Daniel O'Connor said the following:
>> Hi, I recently tried enabling MCA (ie w.mca.enabled=1 in loader.conf) on an
>> 8.0-STABLE system and found that it would cause the system to hang after a
>> few minutes of uptime.
>>
>> The screen would go black and the monitor would turn off (regardless of
>> wether it was in X or not) and only a hard reset would bring it back.
>>
>> Also I found that quite often I had to power cycle the whole PC or the BIOS
>> wouldn't detect the hard disks on boot(!) after a hang.
>>
>> uname is.. FreeBSD midget.dons.net.au 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #6
>> r202903M: Sun Jan 24 13:45:11 CST 2010
>> darius@midget.dons.net.au:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MIDGET  amd64

Oh, I should have payed attention to the version.
I think that this is a known and resolved problem.
There is a hardware bug in AMD 10h processors that is triggered by combination
of enabled MCA and FreeBSD superpages.
So, you either have to disable one of them or upgrade to a more recent version.
The version you need is r206183.  The latest stable/8 would do, obviously.

--
Andriy Gapon