Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2007 07:49:31 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        FX Charpentier <charpentierfx@yahoo.com>
Cc:        James <jamesh@lanl.gov>, Sean Murphy <smurphy@calarts.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help Failing Disk Problem

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 02:40:36PM -0800, FX Charpentier wrote:
> Roland,
>=20
> The mention of dump '-L' in your email below has caught my attention.
> Pardon my ignorance, but what is the '-L' option?
>=20
> I looked it up in the man pages but wasn't able to find any mention of it.
> Can you point me in the right direction?

It's in dump(8);

     -L      This option is to notify dump that it is dumping a live file s=
ys-
             tem.  To obtain a consistent dump image, dump takes a snapshot=
 of
             the file system in the .snap directory in the root of the file
             system being dumped and then does a dump of the snapshot.  The
             snapshot is unlinked as soon as the dump starts, and is thus
             removed when the dump is complete.  This option is ignored for
             unmounted or read-only file systems.  If the .snap directory d=
oes
             not exist in the root of the file system being dumped, a warni=
ng
             will be issued and the dump will revert to the standard behavi=
or.
             This problem can be corrected by creating a .snap directory in
             the root of the file system to be dumped; its owner should be
             ``root'', its group should be ``operator'', and its mode should
             be ``0770''.

I use dump with the following options (e.g. for /usr);

dump -0 -B 4589560 -C 8 -h 0 -L -u -P \
'cat - >usr-0-20071106-vol${DUMP_VOLUME}.dump' /usr

This splits dump output in DVD-R sized chunks.

Roland
--=20

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ--