Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2019 21:19:33 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Dark Wolf <dark-wolf@ovh.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Switch between Xorg and TTYs

On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 20:52:14 +0100, Dark Wolf wrote:
> Le dimanche 01 d=E9cembre 2019 =E0 19:12 +0100, Polytropon a =E9crit :
> > On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 16:57:27 +0100, Dark Wolf wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > i am with nvidia-driver-340 on 12-1.RELEASE, this is only driver
> > > work.
> > >=20
> > > I can't switch between  and  X... :0 and :1 for perhaps use gnome 3
> > > and
> > > test dwm
> >=20
> > If you use Ctrl+Alt+PF1 (X usually starts on ttyv8, assigned
> > to Alt+PF9), do you get a blank screen, some "out of sync"
> > effect?
>=20
> Yes i have black screen...
> the part of my /etc/ttys :https://paste.debian.net/hidden/8c6253c5/

Sidenote first:

For future refernce, it's nice to have smaller snippets of
configuration files directly embedded in the message, so in
case the online source (here: paste.debian.net) removes the
referenced content, it's still there and can help users who
search the mailing list archive for answers - and instead of
getting a 404 error page, they find the information they've
been searching for. :-)

Relevant entries on your system:

# If console is marked "insecure", then init will ask for the root password
# when going to single-user mode.
#console	none				unknown	off insecure
#
ttyv0	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		xterm	on secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		xterm	on secure
ttyv2	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		xterm	on secure
ttyv3	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		xterm	on secure
ttyv4	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		xterm	on secure
ttyv5	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		xterm	on secure
ttyv6	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		xterm	on secure
ttyv7	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		xterm	on secure

# Edit the existing entry for ttyv8 in /etc/ttys and change
# "off" to "on".
ttyv8   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm  on secure
ttyv9   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm  on secure
ttyvb   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm  off secure
ttyva   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm  off secure

How do you start X? You said you're using Gnome 3, so it's
probably not that easy to have two X servers running. It's
possible to start two X servers and assign them to terminals
as mentioned above.

More information here (entry 11.10 is relevant here):

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/x.html

And:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-config.html

And:

https://vermaden.wordpress.com/2018/05/22/freebsd-desktop-part-3-x11-window=
-system/

Switching from inside X to virtual terminals can be done,
as known, with Ctrl+Alt+PFx (x=3D1..8), and back to X with
Alt+PF9 (default location).

> i'd like very have :0 on F11 and :1 and F12

As mentioned, this is easily possible. However, I'm not sure
in how far Gnome's display manager will allow this, as it is
known to interfere with every established standard of doing
things. ;-)

Depending on how you start X, you can move to ttyva and ttyvb
for your X sessions.

> > Is an X freeze likely to happen on your system? It shouldn't
> > be... and typically suggests that there's something wrong.
> > You can use simple window managers like IceWM or FVWM with
> > virtual desktops, and run several X Terminals (xterm, rxvt)
> > on those, as using "text mode" consoles has become a nightmare
>=20
> the text mode relieves my eyes

Classic 80x25 text mode is gone. What you see is also a kind
of graphics mode that mimics text mode. With ant-tiny fonts.
And distorted colors. ;-)

> > on FreeBSD since the switch from sc to vt (as console driver).
>=20
> O.K vt isn't enough completely work ?

In my very individual opinion, it still lacks things that
its predecessor, sc, would happily do for decades. However,
vt is now required for X to work, so there is no way around
it. Personally I found that using X terminals (xterm, rxvt)
inside X is a much easier way to get fonts, sizes and colors
up to a leven where it's not just acceptable, but pleasant
to use - things that vt never really delivered for me...

So my solution to vt trouble was to just use WindowMaker's
virtual desktops and use X terminals inside them. I also have
similar setups with IceWM and FVWM that work like traditional
console switching did (convenient key combinations, readable
font, normal colors). I hardly use the virtual terminals
anymore.

> But for mutli-tasking, i use a some of tty and windows manager, now i
> am on gnome3 and it's a very good tool for work... need again some
> configuration but... it's complet.=20

Doesn't Gnome have virtual desktops, too? I use them with
WindowMaker a lot, and I remember Gnome 2 (as well as MATE
and Cinnamon) have virtual desktops. Even ye olde olvwm had
virtual desktops.

> ( in apart gnome3-lite isn't work out of box by pkg, i don't know what
> can i do to help and report problem )

Maybe you need to install some additional packages in places
where the -lite port is incomplete? You should at least get
a usable desktop, even if some of the bells and whistles are
missing.

> > However, even with the nVidia driver (I think you're using
> > the binary one, right?), it should work.
>=20
> yes i use binary, i was try by /usr/ports but no effect, only 340
> version work.

The port also just installs the binary driver (no source code
available). I'm using it too, works well, all the others (nv
and nouveau) don't.

> > Please check if any of the relevant configuration files have
> > any offending entries, or important entries missing (usually
> > KMS stuff in /boot/loader.conf, no manual forcing of sc in
> > that file, /etc/ttys, and /etc/rc.conf).
>=20
> i'm on UEFI/GPT and no kms... but, in apart if can have smaller fonts i
> take it :-)

You _want_ smaller fonts? You must be young, with healthy eyes... ;-)

> my /boot/loader.conf :
> https://paste.debian.net/hidden/64fb3fcd/

Your /boot/loader.conf:

security.bsd.allow_destructive_dtrace=3D0
kern.geom.label.disk_ident.enable=3D"0"
kern.geom.label.gptid.enable=3D"0"
opensolaris_load=3D"YES"
zfs_load=3D"YES"

linux_load=3D"YES"
linux64_load=3D"YES"
nvidia_load=3D"YES"

hw.psm.synaptics_support=3D"1"

Nothing strange, you're loading the nvidia module, good,
and you're _not_ overriding vt.

So when you're in X, you should be able to press Ctrl+Alt+PF1
and be back at the system console. Nothing in this configuration
seems to prevent it. Back to X then with Alt+PF9.

> my /etc/rc.conf :https://paste.debian.net/hidden/f27e1c2e/

Your /etc/rc.conf:

clear_tmp_enable=3D"YES"
syslogd_flags=3D"-ss"
sendmail_enable=3D"NONE"
hostname=3D"FreeBSB-Station"
keymap=3D"fr.bepo.kbd"
ntpdate_enable=3D"YES"
powerd_enable=3D"YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev=3D"AUTO"
zfs_enable=3D"YES"
firewall_enable=3D"YES"
firewall_type=3D"workstation"
firewall_quiet=3D"yes"
firewall_logdeny=3D"yes"

#gdm_enable=3D"YES"
#gnome_enable=3D"YES"
dbus_enable=3D"YES"
hald_enable=3D"YES"

As I can see, you have commented out the entries for GDM and Gnome.
How do you normally start X sessions? Is there something "strange"
in your user's ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession? (Even if it was, GDM is
known for ignoring those files.)

PS. If I misunderstood something about your problem and intention,
    please clarify. I'm not a native EN speaker. :-)

--=20
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0