Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 16:10:36 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        kosmos <kosmos@bowhill.yi.org>, Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PortsNG (was Re: Ports Options Paper)

On Sun 2000-09-10 (01:30), Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
> But I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do for ordinary users.
> (I added it just for quick testing -- it's not even documented.)  The
> problem here is that we don't know whether the user wants BAR_1 to be
> deleted or not.  Maybe the user is using something in BAR_1 and didn't
> realize typing "make deinstall-depends" from FOO would delete it.

When installing a port/package directly, touch
/var/db/pkg/foo-1.0/direct, if not, don't touch it.  Well, a better name
would be cool, but that should work fine.

With a GUI/CUI front-end, this could be handled arbitrarily, and it's
easy enough for a person to do manually.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems