Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 12:39:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DRAFT: ports.7

On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, Warner Losh wrote:

> application source code compile and run on BSD. Installing an
> application is as simple as downloading the port, unpacking it and typing
> make in the port directory. The Makefile automatically fetches the

This isn't actually true.  If you do this and there are any
dependencies, you will have to be aware of the dependencies.

> .Sh TARGETS
> .Ss fetch
> Fetch all of the files needed to build this port from the site(s)
> listed in MASTER_SITES and PATCH_SITES.  See FETCH_CMD, MASTER_SITES,

How likely is it that anyone will need to change FETCH_CMD?  How
safe is it to change it, anyways...  some of the ports define
FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS which might conflict with whatever FETCH_CMD is
redefined to.

> .Ss package
> Makes a binary package for the port from an installed port.  You must
> install the package first.  Blah Blah Blah.

"You may find this useful if you want to distribute your own
packages because you have your own packages to distribute because
perhaps you have some network or perhaps you are a commercial
distributor wanting to take advantage of the package-registration
system, or perhaps you have some other reason or something"

> .Sh ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
[...]
> .Ss MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE
> Blah Blah Blah.
.Ss BATCH
If set, only operate on ports without your supervision.
.Ss INTERACTIVE
If set, build ports which will ask questions and require and
require your interaction for the build process.

> .Sh FILES
[...]
> .It Pa /usr/pkgsrc
> The default ports directory (NetBSD).

/usr/ports/distfiles
/usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk

It might not hurt to mention /var/db/pkg, either.

> .Sh HISTORY
> .Nm The Ports Collection
> appeared in
> .Fx 1.0 .

Wasn't it jkh's devil, at the time?  I'm tempted to suggest also
adding a couple milestones -- date when we hit 1000 port, etc.
:)

Rev. 1.137 INDEX, 1009 ports, Jul 2, 1997.
Rev. 1.77 INDEX, 504 ports, Aug 2, 1996.

FWIW...  ;-)

--
 tIM...HOEk
OPTIMIZATION: the process of using many one-letter variables names