Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:59:31 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        "Ludington, Jacob" <Jacob.Ludington@ed.state.ia.us>
Cc:        "'freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Magazine

> I think you may be discounting the ability of email newsletters reaching the
> masses.

Quite possibly.

BTW, Big Scary Daemons isn't a newsletter, it's just a column.  It's
part of the BSD DevCenter.  (Just a column... never mind that when I
was asked to write a regular column for the company I consider the
Dean of Technical Publishers I yelped loudly enough that my wife
thought I had stepped on a nail again.  :)

> My guess would be there are many
> others who didn't know it existed either.

You would be right.

> O'Reilly doesn't make it obvious if its even possible to subscribe to
> Big Scary Daemons.(Where's the subscription form?)

It's not, you have to go there.  But it could certainly be better
advertised.  (Then again, it's new, give Chris some time.  :) The same
could be said for any BSD resources.

> As for e-books, there aren't exactly any conveniently(price and ease of use)
> designed readers on the market that I'm aware of. I'm not suggesting that
> email newsletters will ever completely replace print media, although the
> main reason I look at print publications anymore is solely for the
> advertising.

Another whole argument.  I don't think e-readers will ever replace
books.  Now let's drop that before the whole conversation gets
completely derailed.  :)

So, an email newsletter would be a possibility.  We have the official
FreeBSD Real-Quick news, but that comes out irregularly.

Perhaps a different sort of freebsd-announce, basically an email
version of daily daemonnews?  You might even be able to pool resources
with the daemonnews people somehow.  (I am in no way tied to DN, so
don't take this as any sort of offer.)

==ml

--
Michael Lucas