Date:      Tue, 16 May 2006 12:29:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Krten <root@parse.com>
To:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Smallest/fastest x86 6.0

Can anyone give me a ballpark idea on what size the smallest
image would be, and how fast it could boot, for a 6.0 (or 6.1)
bare bones x86 kernel with a serial driver, filesystem (suitable
for a 32MB flash device; even a DOS filesystem is fine) and
enough guts to load a "hello world"-sized C program, on a 500
MHz PIII class of machine?  I'm hoping for something along the
lines of 2-4MB and <10s ...

I know it's kind of a vague question, but I'm trying to
get a handle on just how "embeddable" FreeBSD is.  PHK gave
a talk at BSDCan 2006 last weekend, and I believe the number
he guessed at was around 9MB but that was using nanoBSD; he
then went on to say that picoBSD would be the way to go, but
that perhaps there needed to be some more development on that
front...

Comments?

Thanks in advance,
-RK

--
Robert Krten, PARSE Software Devices
Realtime Systems Architecture, Consulting, Books and Training at www.parse.com
Looking for Digital Equipment Corp. PDP-1 through PDP-15 minicomputers!