Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:18:04 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        wonko@entropy.tmok.com
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, mph@astro.caltech.edu, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Color ls

> sure, lusers really annoy us, but doing what you ask to make your job "easier"
> is sorta what our job is all about, so with a few exceptions, we will happily
> make the change for you.

Speaking as a newcomer to BSD, it's hard to say we are forward looking and
have decent multimedia ability when we can't easily get 'ls' to show
color.

Maybe multimedia, color, sound, etc aren't important to 'old school'
computer people, but let's face it: computing isn't what it used to be.

Old school OS's never imagined video playback, point-and-click, speech
synthesis, 3D game cards, and real-time online gaming.  But they are here.

They also never thought they would see spreadsheets, wysiwig word
processors, desktop publishing, and other 'productive' endeavors become
widespread and accessible to the average joe.

It's time to sell out.  Colorls isn't THAT big of a deal if it makes people
happy.  Adding it will make more people happy than leaving it out will.